Near Coral Bay resort lies the settlement of Maa-Paleokastro, which holds historical significance as the initial dwelling place of the ancient Mycenaean Greeks in 1200 BC. These Greeks migrated to the island after the fall of the Mycenaean Kingdoms in mainland Greece, marking the beginning of Hellenisation on Cyprus. As a result, this site provides valuable insights into the end of the Late Bronze Age on the island.
Located to the west of Agia Napa, the Tombs of Makronissos comprise 19 rock-cut tombs, a small sanctuary, and an ancient quarry. The sanctuary itself is a modest rectangular enclosure, constructed from large, irregular blocks. These tombs were actively used during the Hellenistic and Roman eras. Despite facing extensive looting since 1872, archaeologists hold the belief that the deceased were originally placed in clay sarcophagi, covered with three flat tiles.
Palaipafos, known as 'old Pafos' in Greek, is an archaeological site situated in Kouklia Village. It held great significance as one of the most important city-kingdoms in Cyprus and was recognized as the first Cypriot site to be included in UNESCO's World Heritage List in 1980. Two different legends surround the founding of Palaipafos. According to one story, King Agapenor of Tegea (Peloponesus) established the city-kingdom while returning from the Trojan War.
Dominating the west end of the town's harbor, Paphos Castle (also known as the Medieval Fort) originally served as a Byzantine fortification to safeguard the harbor. It underwent reconstruction by the Lusignans in the 13th century, only to be later dismantled by the Venetians. However, the Ottomans took control of the island and reconstructed the castle in the 16th century. What remains today is the Ottoman restoration from 1592, focusing on the western Frankish tower while incorporating Venetian elements. A testament to this restoration can be found in an inscription above the castle's sole entrance.
The Paphos Mosaics are renowned as some of the finest in the eastern Mediterranean and are an integral part of the Archaeological Park of Kato Paphos, which has held a place on the UNESCO World Heritage Sites list since 1980. Their discovery in 1962 was accidental when a farmer plowing his field stumbled upon one of these exceptional mosaics.
Apollon Hylates, known as the God of the Woodland, served as the guardian deity of Kourion, and it is believed that people worshipped him at this location from the 8th century BC to the 4th century AD. The sanctuary dedicated to him held great religious significance and underwent several expansions and modifications during various periods.
Located just north of Paphos Harbour in the Kato Paphos Archaeological Park, the Byzantine fortress known as Saranta Kolones (Forty Columns) earned its name due to the discovery of numerous granite columns on-site, which are believed to have once been part of the ancient agora. Historically, this castle was constructed towards the end of the 7th century AD with the primary purpose of safeguarding the port and the city of Nea Paphos from Arab raids. It underwent renovations during the rule of the Lusignans.
Situated on the left bank of the river Pediaios, in the region that now encompasses the villages of Politiko, Pera, and Episkopio, stands a vast archaeological site with remarkable discoveries. Among the findings are the temple of Aphrodite, two grand royal tombs, and several smaller burial sites.
Kourion, a significant city-kingdom in ancient times, remains one of the most remarkable archaeological sites in Cyprus. One of its standout features is the theatre, positioned on the southern edge of the steep hill upon which the city was built, making it of utmost importance. Originally constructed in the late 2nd century BC, the theatre underwent further expansions during the 2nd century AD, taking on its present dimensions.