The Agios Georgios archaeological site in the village of Pegeia, Paphos, holds significant religious importance in the region and has been a renowned place of pilgrimage for many years. Beginning in the 1950s, excavations at this site revealed compelling evidence of an Early Christian settlement.
The Archaeological Park of Kato Pafos (Paphos) holds immense significance as one of Cyprus's most vital archaeological sites and has been designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1980. During the late 4th century BC, Nicocles, the final King of Palaipafos, relocated the city from its previous position to its current location near the harbor. For a substantial period spanning from the 2nd century BC to the 4th century AD, Pafos served as the capital city of Cyprus.
Near Coral Bay resort lies the settlement of Maa-Paleokastro, which holds historical significance as the initial dwelling place of the ancient Mycenaean Greeks in 1200 BC. These Greeks migrated to the island after the fall of the Mycenaean Kingdoms in mainland Greece, marking the beginning of Hellenisation on Cyprus. As a result, this site provides valuable insights into the end of the Late Bronze Age on the island.
Palaipafos, known as 'old Pafos' in Greek, is an archaeological site situated in Kouklia Village. It held great significance as one of the most important city-kingdoms in Cyprus and was recognized as the first Cypriot site to be included in UNESCO's World Heritage List in 1980. Two different legends surround the founding of Palaipafos. According to one story, King Agapenor of Tegea (Peloponesus) established the city-kingdom while returning from the Trojan War.
Dominating the west end of the town's harbor, Paphos Castle (also known as the Medieval Fort) originally served as a Byzantine fortification to safeguard the harbor. It underwent reconstruction by the Lusignans in the 13th century, only to be later dismantled by the Venetians. However, the Ottomans took control of the island and reconstructed the castle in the 16th century. What remains today is the Ottoman restoration from 1592, focusing on the western Frankish tower while incorporating Venetian elements. A testament to this restoration can be found in an inscription above the castle's sole entrance.
The Paphos Mosaics are renowned as some of the finest in the eastern Mediterranean and are an integral part of the Archaeological Park of Kato Paphos, which has held a place on the UNESCO World Heritage Sites list since 1980. Their discovery in 1962 was accidental when a farmer plowing his field stumbled upon one of these exceptional mosaics.
Located just north of Paphos Harbour in the Kato Paphos Archaeological Park, the Byzantine fortress known as Saranta Kolones (Forty Columns) earned its name due to the discovery of numerous granite columns on-site, which are believed to have once been part of the ancient agora. Historically, this castle was constructed towards the end of the 7th century AD with the primary purpose of safeguarding the port and the city of Nea Paphos from Arab raids. It underwent renovations during the rule of the Lusignans.
Part of the Kato Paphos Archaeological Park, the renowned 'Tombs of the Kings' hold significant historical value in Cyprus, being recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1980. These imposing subterranean tombs were intricately carved into solid rock, originating from the Hellenistic and Roman eras. Although not actually meant for kings, these burial grounds were primarily reserved for esteemed officials and aristocrats.